Monday, April 25, 2011

Bianca slid into a booth ready for a satisfying meal. At the counter a strange man, knuckles dripping with blood, seemed to be harassing a young waitress. "Typical", she though to herself. She proceeded to pick up the sticky menu and examine her options. "Large Fry, Large Onion Ring, Large Tater Tot, with what as the main dish?", Her thoughts were interrupted by a the sound of a homeless man tapping on the window next to her. He smiled at her with golden teeth as he made rude cat calls through the window. Bianca attempted to ignore the man by staring at a strange dark stain that covered the table cloth in front of her.
She looked around the room. The tables were almost empty. Only a few miserable looking persons sat alone at various tables. "Its like we are all trapped", she thought to herself. At that moment Bianca's heart started to beat quickly, "How long will I be trapped here? Will I be here for the rest of my life? Am I truly doomed to live in this hell hole forever?". These thoughts of hopelessness began racing through her terrified mind.
Bianca was suddenly startled by a middle aged waiter wearing a deeply faded apron, "What'll ya have miss?". Bianca gazed up at the man. "I'll have a Larg-", Bianca paused, "I'll have a Large...", "Yes ma'am a large what?" The man pried in annoyance. Bianca paused for a moment taking a final look around the room. She thought of the homeless man, of the robbery, of the backwards carousel, her sloppy nights at Second Chances, and of her small apartment at Watershed Heights. She thought of Louie, she thought of her family, and she thought of the happiness that she once knew. After a long delay she replied with a rejuvenating confidence, "Actually, I'd like the house salad with a water to drink". As the waiter walked away Bianca grabbed her bedazzled cell phone, scrolling down her list of contacts until she found the name she was looking for.

9 comments:

  1. He sped around the corner, causing mud to fling into the air and land at a poor homeless man's feet. The homeless man turned from harassing the poor woman inside the restaurant to yell a few profane words and make some gestures in the Italian's direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did not stay in the resturant however. That was where I drew the line. If I was going to eat, I was not going to spend it around irrate waiters and self-concious strippers eating salads

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...people that were forced together for their own reasons, none of them actually similar at all. We are all differently pushed together into this place where we learn or choose not to learn from our mistakes. A miserable stripper that is just realizing, as he is, that so many of these people find misery and unhappiness, yet what's more is that they are all growing, more or less."

    ReplyDelete
  4. The waiter came over and gave me my chicken wings and I devoured them quickly, washing it down with the beer. After a large burp, I gave a cursory glance around the room. I saw a very pretty woman at a table near me. Who's that? I wondered. All of a sudden my self confidence came rushing back. I'll try one more time...so before I could convince myself otherwise my legs had brought me over to her table and sat me down.

    "Hey, I'm Kalvin."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms. Pigg sat next to Bianca Bonelli and watched her movements out of the corner of her eye. When the waiter approached he to take her order, she was taking forever. She was staring into space about something, possibly about the recent crazy events that have happened in Watershed Heights. She finally ordered a salad and water which is the exact opposite of what Ms. Pigg was going to get in terms of healthy choices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Strip clubs have the /best/ hot wings. I order a double shot from this waitress girl. Cute, but a little on the heavy side. Guess that's why shes not dancing... She looks a little down, so I get her a shot as well...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky walked into the 24 hour diner with food on his mind. He crept in through the back door, carefully staying out of eyesight, yet following the smell of fries and onion rings. Slowly, he crept into the main room, running from table to table with his tail between his legs so he wouldn't get stepped on. A waiter ran by, so Lucky ran to the booth and waited under the table. The woman in the booth smelled strongly of cheap perfume and nail polish, which made his nose tingle. His sense of smell was overwhelmed because at one point he was relishing the smells of the diner, and at the same time he hated the woman in the booth, whose tacky stench screamed in the face of all that is holy. Lucky's stomach growled, and he wished that the bitch would just order her food so he could snag a bit of it. While everyone ate, lucky sat, waiting for something, anything to fill his belly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 10 minutes later, a woman wearing a blue dress and black flats and carrying a clutch, all of it mismatched, slipped through the doors into Deena's 28 hour Diner and immediately felt uncomfortable being in public. She forced herself to step up to the bar and sit down on one of the stools. As the hot, heavy smell of fried everything began to soak into her clothes, Ceilí sank her fourth shot and ordered two more along with a hamburger. Across the diner, she saw a young man sit down in a booth already containing a woman and begin to talk to her. Gutsy because of the alcohol, Ceilí abandoned her incoming burger and wove her way across the room, dodging the tables that jumped in front of her, to land in the booth next to the young man and across from the woman. Miraculously, both shots had made their ways over with Ceilí, and in a fit of generosity, she offered one to each of her companions.

    "Long day? Mine was. Want shome of deese? I ken get pllently more!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see all the lonely deserted souls you normally find around Watershed, I notice a couple of teenaged boys shoving each other to see whose going to talk to that stripper I see Wednesday nights whose picking over a salad, and then I see her out the window. But instead of taking in the black coffee, I run out into the sun up to her. "Ruth! Ruth!," I call after her looking to see where she might have gone.

    ReplyDelete